PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Climb Gradient vs EOSID
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 14:45
FlightPathOBN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thus, reliance on a SID or published (all engines) Obstacle Departure Procedure may not adequately protect for the loss of an engine during takeoff.
Concur, SID are all engine, and will virtually never protect you EO.

Hence my boring and repetitive comments that the takeoff and miss, OEI, have to be preplanned with detailed attention to intended tracking and obstacle clearance.
Exactly. This is why I am really harping on the engine out procedures, and especially, that the criteria missed approach is all engine. A coded engine out assures the crew that the procedure will have the obstacle clearances, turns, and destination already figured out, leaving the crew to aviate, not navigate.

Plus, takeoff minimums have a larger political component (and less science) than do landing minimums.
oh yes!

The flight inspection pilots are suppose to be the "check valve" but they are often checking off the numbers on a nice clear day.
Flight checks are required to be in daylight in non-IFR conditions.

Furthermore, the climb angles are so shallow (typically) that the human brain has great difficulty figuring whether or not the aircraft is really going up, flying level, or going down .. other than by rigorous attention to the IF scan.
Exactly, as I was pointing out, many of the EO missed procedures in AUS have climb rates near 70'/nm for twins, you dont feel like you are pushing away from the dirt. The climb rates dont require a terrain challenged airport to be a problem, and cell towers popping up everywhere...

Thread Comments:

This has been a great discussion from an ops and design perspective. Many times, when training pilots on procedures, there are very few questions.
Discussions like this really help in the training outlines, to explain the nuances of procedures, procedure design, differences, and with the coded procedures, especially EO, why it is important to use them.
I am going to add an entire section on performance engineering, especially EO, so that the operators can see the BCOP, etc data input/ouput, and the parameters that a procedure engineer uses when generating the profiles.