PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 13:49
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auraflyer

It will be interesting to see where the wreckage really is when the location is finally disclosed. I have long believed it is to the S of LKP based on drift analysis - although I am the first to admit that there are a lot of assumptions inherent in this. In the end however, the location really doesn't matter. Speculation as to the location of the wreckage was no more than a means to an end - examination of the wreckage and hopefully recovery of the boxes. The location alone can't tell us what is important - the events that led to this disaster.

One thing I am a bit puzzled about. The vessels involved in stage 3 had AIS (I remember mm43 giving us frequent updates). If phase 3 had been successful, we would learned of the location - unless of course they turned AIS off at that point. This time there is no AIS and they have not disclosed the location. Is it just coincidence, or did they make a conscious decision to deny the public this information in phase 4. If a conscious decision, why the change in policy?

I guess I can understand the reasons not to disclose the location. But then why is it they apparently didn't care in the earlier searches?

Although not searching for a conspiracy (and I really don't believe there is one), there are a few too many unusual things about the entire case.