PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cdr 'Sharkey'Ward RN
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 10:54
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heimdall
Like many others who have commented in this thread, I have great respect for Ward’s skill as a pilot (F-4 and SHAR) and it is a shame he appeared to appreciate the efforts of others so little. His book is all me, me, me (he must have met Clive Loader somewhere).
I guess quite a few books go down that route but prior to the Falklands was he that person!

I am not a doctor and have no medical qualifications but may I respectfully still suggest:

Commander Ward is clearly a person that believes in calling a spade a spade, but his comments are now most certainly not welcome, not constructive an maybe even offensive and I still maintain that he is yet another casualty of the Falklands conflict. The book was obviously wrote after that battle and I believe that a number of issues were still very raw in that person's mind and he used the book as his own personal soap box.

Was he a victim of post traumatic stress disorder and did this ailment effect his conduct just as the Falklands conflict was being won and when he should have been celebrating a brilliant effort by EVERY SINGLE person that was involved? Instead of that he was removed from his command and flown home.... A sad end to what was developing into an excellent Naval career.

Sometimes the last person to know they have that illness is the victim and sometimes those closest to them do not realise they are ill, they just think 'the war has changed them!'

I apologise for being 'A bloke on t'Internet' that is playing at being a doctor' but I feel that perhaps we might just try to ignore the objectionable words of someone who was at one point in their career a very exceptional talent.

Regarding Chile,
I think you make an excellent point and they offered more assistance than the radar issue you highlight. Maggie Thatcher never forgot the huge part that that country paid in helping us and that was shown by her loyalty towards General Pinochet when she went to visit him whilst he was here for a short period (Under house arrest)

I have NEVER met Commander Ward and have no connection whatsoever with any one that knows this person and all I am suggesting is that we might cut this person 'a little slack'