PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 10:43
Waghi Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is enough said !

What the report highlights is the way that some operators have been operating incorrectly for years, what I'm specifically referring to is the co-pilot not being instrument rated. APNG is not the only operator who has put non instrument rated pilots in their RH seats, in an effort to fulfill the requirements to operate IFR. The report also displays a lack of surveillance by the regulator. As to how the co-pilot got his medical certificate is another issue in itself, reading in between the lines.

On the upside it looks like this accident has been a wake call for the industry in general, to lift their standards and this also includes the regulator. It's also good to see that new rules and changes are going to be made as a direct result of this accident.

It's also very good to see that APNG have pro actively hired some very experienced Twin Otter Captains since the accident, in an effort to raise their pilots experience levels, and from what I have personally observed, this really has payed off.

Last edited by Waghi Warrior; 11th Apr 2011 at 10:55.