PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth Airport
Thread: Perth Airport
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 09:12
Nautilus Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Servo - see Confirmation bias You will also follow Qantas aircraft more often because there are more Qantas aircraft.

sled_driver71 - I assume you are talking PH local time? Going from memory, 21/03 was closed last week and 1315 is a relatively busy part of most weekdays. For arguments sake take an arrival rate of 20/hour, or 3 minutes between arrivals. So your delay, 45 minutes, equals 15 slots, Which means in the hour prior to your arrival there were 15 more arrivals scheduled than slots available, or a demand of 35 arrivals an hour. A demand of 35/hour is nothing special, peak is over 40 I think.

As for what happened, put yourself in our shoes. 15 - 20 aircraft converging on PH, roughly in the right order. Except number 15 is at the front, 45 minutes early. Now we have two options. One, hold you for 45 minutes, and have you restrict descent and climb for everyone else. Two, make you number one and give you track shortening, and simply add 3 minutes to everyone else's time. Workload management I'm afraid. However you are correct, we should have held you.

Lastly, and no crew ever believes this, you cannot judge traffic levels on one sector by the amount of talking on frequency, and there are more than one feeding any airport. I once held the only aircraft on frequency for 14 minutes, because the poor soul next to me was holding 12.

Last edited by Nautilus Blue; 11th Apr 2011 at 10:41.