PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 19:25
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.......Watched the BBC news anniversary special last night.

Plenty of fake audio/video archive, such as artistically muffled "Pull up....Terrain ahead", and repro radio coms, all somewhat surprisingly in English.

Anyway, apart from the naturally upsetting interview clips with surviving relatives, they did at least identify the main cause of the accident.

"The Navigator mis-read the Altimeter".

It is quite possible, of course, that something has got lost in translation. Maybe the word "Navigator" in Polish or Russian can also mean pilot in translation.......I wouldn't know.

Something that could be put across to people as a side issue for them to consider when attempting a rational understanding of final approach accidents that occur in mist and fog, is the true shock of discovering the trap engendered by the difference in slant and horizontal visibility. When the viz changes from 'something' to zero at 50 feet, it's not a happy moment. That's why clever ideas such as RVR measuring kit and published approach minima are a big help. At least, since many more have now got Cat3B Autoland to plug in at selected quality airfields, more pilots have had the chance to experience the low level viz disappearing trick.

Watching the BBC left me personally with no clear idea of what was going on, and of course, undershoot incidents can be a whole different thing, together with other lures and complexities. Going back to the 1990s, I seem to recall using QFE in Russia and China, but predictably, stuff such as Altimeter procedures, Polish Airforce SOPs, and Cat 1 (or other) minima will not get an airing at this level. The mildly suspect second guessing on this BBC one was pitched more at the standard expected a few pages into the documentary channel disaster listings. I felt that for instance the budget sensitive (UK) ITV Daybreak show would have made a much better job of it. I'm deliberately not comparing it to the main BBC news output.

I suppose we have to appreciate that without tension-building special sound and visual effects a portion of the audience will doze off or switch channels. It's a pity that an incident as solemn and current as this, couldn't have been handled with more genuine sympathy, and pitched a little more at grownups.