PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maximum performance takeoff?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 16:22
Gordy

Received 52 Likes on 17 Posts
OBX Lifeguard

In a lightly loaded aircraft with tons of excess power like a UH-60 significantly less than max T/O power is fine, she'll still go vertical @ 2,000 fpm... But in something like a loaded BK coming off a helipad I'll take max T/O pwr 'til VY as per the book
Thank you for agreeing with me that

there is no "Book" way to do it, do what feels right for the prevailing conditions.
I have always proclaimed, (rightly or wrongly), the the difference between F/W and R/W is that in the F/W world they rely on "numbers" for everything....V1, VR, etc....where as in the helicopter world we apply common sense and airmanship attain a "sight picture" and "feeling". This is what separates us.

Seems that "newer" pilots these days are not being taught common sense. I see new threads popping up day after day on various forums asking for "numbers" and "power settings" when in fact there is no black and white answer. Generally, if it "feels right" you are probably in the right ballpark. Now we just need to figure out how to show that on paper.

I also don't buy that engines are most likely to fail under T/O power. It's anecdotal of course but that just has not been my experience...recips or turbines...
Agreed. More often than not, people mis-manage their power in these circumstances.

Caveat--- I fly in the utility world and NOT the airport or instrument environment, therefore my answers may not apply in all circumstances.

Last edited by Gordy; 10th Apr 2011 at 16:24. Reason: Added a bit more