PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 429
Thread: Bell 429
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 16:00
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, its kind of like the 139, with a couple of overpowered engines lending it to easy gross weight increases. Shawn Coyle did a pretty close study on it and posted and published. I'd like to hear some "working" reports too - the factory guys are always optimistic.

Was in one a few weeks ago and quite liked it. Only helicopter I know of that is certified for flight from either right or left seat, maybe means nothing to you European guys but means we can long-line from the left seat here without taking a black felt pen to the RFM limitations.

On the IFR side it is approved for 9 degree LPV (using GPS to fly an ILS like approach, except better), again means nothing to Europe were you aren't allow to turn on a GPS, but a big deal on this side of the Atlantic for EMS.

On the comparison side, it is a six pass seat helicopter, like the 135. Gross on the 135 is 6500, 7000 on the 429, I think about 8000 for the eight pass seat 145. The 145 is a stone-age relic compared to the EFIS, FADEC, automated 429.

Good to see some competition in the light-twin market.