PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 15:00
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Em773ER,

you pose a good question. I think it was Titan404 who last year wrote a pretty good post showing that in a 30 year career as an example, a cadet (i.e no housing) would potentially lose 9million hong kong dollars. This is based on a very conservative housing allowance of 25'000 per month for 30 years.

The integrated course is roughly 1.1million. Basically, whilst one may think you are getting free traning, you are potentially paying 9X the integrated course therefore your CX traning is actually the most expensive course in the world.

Now my complaint at the time was that this was slightly idealistic and very black and white- i.e writing some very good financial maths to support his own opinion that can easily be twisted to support another. Because actually, you are not losing 9milllion, you are just 9million worse off than the guy sitting next to you and if you can deal with that and not be annoyed in 5/10/or 20 years time, then there is no problem then.

Playing devils advocate, I brought up other factors. Like what if CX never open up DESO/DEFO again. Or what if you spend 10 years flying GA in some godforsaken hell hole earning sod-all per hour gaining hours hoping to join whatever legacy carrier you dreamed off only to have your CV rejected like a hundred thousand others in the world. I can write one hundred other arguments as to why I think the scheme is not so bad and likewise, others will be able to write one hundred arguments as to why the scheme is crap.

This cadet scheme discussion has been on going since it opened up to internationals in June 2009. And it will never end.

Anyway Erm to answer your question, this airline has seniority numbers just like any other airline I'd assume and based on date of joining. When there is an upgrade coming up, and your number is next in line, then you go for the upgrade. There is NO difference between a 60 week cadet SO and a 6 week cadet SO with X'thousand hours in terms of career progression or finances etc.

The only difference is that the 6 week TT guy who has X'thousand hours under his belt will be ridiculed and disrespected by many. The main argument here is that these guys with all those hours and experience should not be accepting an offer that just 2 years ago was so much better. CX paid top premium in the past for experienced guys, and if those experienced guys are now taking the offer on lower terms, then it is bad for us all - the whole industry.