PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is pilot still considered as a viable career?
Old 10th Apr 2011, 12:27
PENKO

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How?
Since I started my roster became much much better, my pay increased almost every year, I can call fatigued if I'm tired. I even have five days more holiday.

Look, I'm not saying that you are wrong. But it's not all doom and gloom. We pilots are very conservative, but paradoxically we work in a dynamic world. The old CTC guys rant about the new CTC-scheme, but they forget that when they themselves started, others here on PPRuNe were just as disgusted! Same ****, different day.

A funny thing happened in Holland, where in the nineties it used to be very in vogue to buy co-pilot hours on a turboprop that needed only one pilot to fly cargo. Can you imagine this nonsense? Anyway, they convinced themselves that this was the way into the airlines. Then of course, the world changed you suddenly had to pay for a type rating. To this day, these guys will moan about the fact how unfair and stupid it is to pay for a rating, forgetting that they themselves paid hard cash to sit in the right seat of a turboprop that needed no right seat.

So my question to you: what has really changed?

p.s. Last year I really got 'involved' in the plight of the cadets and contract FO's in easyJet. I thought they were having it really bad. But now, barely a year later, some (if not most) of those guys are flying in exotic places like MXP making more money that a UK captain, on permanent contracts.