PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is pilot still considered as a viable career?
Old 10th Apr 2011, 11:18
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't for everyone. I trained with CTC and joined easyjet at 24, have flown the 737 and A320 for five years there and I'm shortly joining BA. I had a bit of luck in that I joined ezy at a time when permanent contracts were being given to cadets and we were paid and treated much better than the cadets are today. That said I have loved every minute (well, nearly!) of my career so far and I wouldn't want to do any other job. If I could quit tomorrow and be financially secure for life I would still like to have some involvement in airline flying. I've met some great people and had a lot of fun, even if the hours we work and the roster patterns we fly are a pain in the proverbial at times. Its still a great view watching the sunrise over Europe with a cup of coffee in hand, even if we do have to get up at 4am to see it...

So there you go. I wouldn't put anyone off going for a career as an airline pilot. It has its drawbacks and the finances required to get into it are getting more and more eye-watering but I'm delighted I went for it and I wouldn't do anything differently. Will it still be a viable career in 20-30 years time? Who knows. If you really want to get involved and you have done your research (and have a back-up plan should you not make it), then there is only one way to find out