PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shooting on Royal Navy Sub
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 09:13
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goudie

What I find rather disturbing is that, HMS Astute requires an armed guard, whilst in port, because it's a possible target for an armed attack, and yet there it is welcoming aboard Civic dignitaries and children. The two situations just do not sit sensibly together, in my opinion.
As a Scout Leader, I have been in the position of requesting and accompanying a visit to a warship, alongside a building in Docklands that had been blown up by the IRA. We were on a water activities weekend and I originally asked to speak to the OOW while in 'civies'. The whole attitude was very much arms length, stand behind the white line stuff - including an armed sentry. Three actually. This didn't seem the slightest bit unusual. The visit was agreed for the following day and thus I turned up with about thirty kids - in their uniforms (however askew ) me in mine.

Suddenly it was all different, the ships company couldn't have been more welcoming. I've always thought it was the uniforms; we were identifiable and recognisable. At no time did I regard it as unusual to have three armed sentries in plain view, while inside the ship the crew members told off to show our three groups around were terrific with the Scouts. Neither talking down to them nor over their heads. The kids loved it. It was not considered necessary to have armed guards accompanying my Scouts - the threat was from outside.

Very sad news about Astute - will she ever recover?

Roger.