PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5th C-17 for RAAF
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 04:57
ftrplt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe you should think a bit more outside the propaganda square
exactly what propoganda square would that be - the one that doesnt necessarily agree with the Carlo Kopp view of the world and with some understanding of the real capabilities (now and future) of the F111 vs its sustainment costs?

An estimate of enhancement cost for the F-111 to maintain a good capability out to about 2030 was around $2.5billion whereas the Super Hornets will cost something like $6.5billion
whose estimate and what 'good capability' would that be?

offensive air racked up 10,000 hours with 4,000 hours of tankering support
so what?

Super Hornet requires K-30 to achieve things the F-111 could do without tankering
what things are those? Throw away statement with no facts.

I note you haven't offered an opinion on the fact that the Caribou was unsustainable.

My statements were not in any way presented as slights on you or your history - just a statement against some of your opinion being presented as fact, and using that opinion to make invalid claims against some senior leadership. Your claim that the Bou was 'sacrificed' and the 'F111 retirement was a poor reflection on CDF' are the statements that I have a problem with.

Why the light transport force was allowed to reach such a state is instructive
because there just isnt enough money to compete with other requirements considered more important based on the current strategic view of the world and the priorities that are set by Govt.

We would all love to have a strong light transport force, based on goverments view of the world its has just not been a high enough priority in the last decade. Its clear you dont agree which is fine, but dont assume its occured due to ignorance.

choice of the Tiger and the MRH-90
Almost all members in uniform with knowledge in this area agree with this statement - its a pity that the military doesnt always get to choose equipment best suited to its needs.

If there's someone out there who honestly believes that AAAvn have presented the ground units they support with a better product to the same number of units than the "5 star hotel, 10am to 3.30pm, Monday to Thursday" RAAF (the utterly bull**** myth some in the Army would have the younger ones who don't know any better to believe), I'd like to hear them argue their case.
I dont think such a person exists - big decision to move em back to Air Force though, which there is certainly some thought to do. Pretty hard politics though!

It's no secret that there are some at Russell Hill who are holding out for the Osprey to replace the Caribou and the Chinook
Cant say I have heard this and I doubt it would have much sway at all at the higher levels.