PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2011, 20:41
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Long time between posts, but frequent lurker. This the best site on the 'net for good poop and inputs from knowledgeable folks.

- I wish to point out to some folks that roll inputs that command a rate are not all that different from Champs, Cubs, Luscombes, P-51's, F-86's, F-4's and the Viper. Even if you must physically move the control that has direct/hydraulic connections to the ailerons or other surfaces such as I had in the F-102, you are not commanding a bank angle. Once you center the control or relax pressure you get whatever you are trimmed for, and the bent wing jets may continue to roll just a bit. Big deal. Unlike the Airbus, our Viper stick did not move at all until a year or so after initial operational jets were on the flightline, and thereafter about 1/8 inch to help feeling you had commanded max roll or gee command. No kidding. It was all pressure, and relaxing the grip stopped roll/pitch command instantly. About 17 pounds of pressure was max roll command to the computers. Biggest thing we had to get used to was "roll ratcheting", as the inertia of our arm woul reduce the pressure and the roll would slow or even stop, heh heh. Watch the T-birds versus the Blues. You will note that the Viper freezes after a roll and sometimes the Hornet will wobble a bit. In the Viper letting go of the stick by opening your hand stopped the roll instantly.

So the fact that the Airbus control moves is not a big deal. Only time I ever physically moved a stick for 30 years was in a violent maneuver, and not day-to-day flying, especially in close formation. I watched many great pilots in the T-33 and A-37 that had mechanically connected dual controls. Was very hard to tell where the stick was most of the time.

Thing that haunts me is the plethora of "control laws" that the Airbus employs. Shows the difference between the commercial planes and the ones I flew, I guess, but still don't understand the rationale.

- I would still not rule out the vertical stab coming off just prior to impact. Seem to remember the PIO on the Airbus at New York 10 years ago when the pilot exceeded the limits of the doofer. The recorders will tell us.