PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual FMC failure Boeing 737 ng
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2011, 20:35
Checkboard

Received 116 Likes on 56 Posts
Please do tell me how to fly direct to RNAV point "NOVOR" raw data?
When you were flying little aeroplanes, how did you find a town, or turning point without a navaid at the point you are looking for?

It's called navigation - you have a working clock, a working heading reference, you can plot a fix to determine your current position ... In your particular case - the dual IRS's in the 737 were still working, all you had to do was look up for your actual track & ground speed, and get a chart out to see where the place was.

"Children of the Magenta line" indeed - that pilots today even have to ask how to do it, as though it is an impossibility without vectors, shows quite a bit.

In Australia, after the Omega navigation system was decommissioned, my airline had us flying with no area navigation system at all in a BAe 146 - just NDBs and VORs. On many of our routes we were completely outside navaid coverage (of any sort) for up to an hour. In one instance I was flying an aircraft with an unserviceable autopilot from Cairns to Darwin and had to divert north around a cyclone in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

The solution (diverting left and right around thunder heads, outside navaid coverage of any sort, without autopilot) was simply to get a chart out, and run a series of air plots for each change of heading for an hour, then apply forecast wind vectors to ded-recon to a point back on the airway, and pick up the VOR radial.

Last edited by Checkboard; 9th Apr 2011 at 21:53.