PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is pilot still considered as a viable career?
Old 9th Apr 2011, 20:32
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it depends where you are and which way to go. Over here in the middle of europe the economy is now well above the pre-crisis levels and growing at the fastest rate for 20 years, unemployment is at a 30 year low and of course airlines are hiring.

However does that mean everything is fine in aviation? Of course not. First of all we have way too many wannabes who are looking for their first job, second of all we have quite a few experienced guys although most are hired now. But the big third is that most bigger airlines pretty much run a closed shop. They select most of their pilots prior to flight school and those will always come first to get new jobs, and even if they do hire direct entry pilots they will test them extremely thoroughly often with a pass rate as low as 0.3%. Meaning that those other 99.7% blew their once-in-a-lifetime chance for that job. And of course there is the language issue, english is not enough and you need to know the local language as well. Disappointing, but true.

My usual advice is to get into a cadet scheme (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Air FranceKLM, probably even Air Berlin), if you fail to pass all those entry tests go for another profession to pay the bills and fly for fun. It can be much more rewarding than slogging around the same old airways at 2:00 AM being dead tired on the 7th consecutive day of duty. By the way, it doesn't hurt to start flying in your teens, over here the minimum age is 14 with special permission 13 to fly glider planes, which is not expensive at all.