PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2011, 16:17
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may be permitted to tread drift a bit re engine rotation effects: prop-driven aircraft suffer a range of unpleasant effects that jets don't. Not least is the prop slipstream effect; the propwash spirals around the aeroplane and pushes on the fin inducing a turn. This is at its worst at take off, with no slipstream and high power; even our Chipmunk needs a bootful of left rudder to keep straight when full power is applied at the start of the take-off roll. A really powerful aeroplane like a Spitfire cannot use full power until there is sufficient airspeed to make the rudder effective enough to keep straight; one reason why later Spits had contra-rotating props.

Then, for a taildragger like the Chippy, there's the 'assymetric blade effect' or 'p' factor, where with the tail down the down-going prop blade produces more thrust than the up-going one. And the engine torque effect particularly noticable on soft runways with powerful aeroplane where one mainwheel tyre is pushed into the ground with more force than the other, and finally the gyroscopic swing induced in a taildragger as the tail comes up and the prop disc is tilted to the vertical.

All of these effects are cumulative, and it's one reason why tail-wheel prop pilots learn to use their feet! All are obviated by contra-rotating props or, for twins, 'handed' engines which rotate in opoosite directions to each other.

When I had a share in a Yak52 I used to use the 'engine torque effect' to steer the aeroplane on Barton's muddy winter surface; using the conventional method (braking the appropriate mainwheel; the nosewheel was free-castoring) didn't work as the (quite thin) wheel would just lock and slide along, not inducing a change of direction at all. But whack on a fistful of Vendeneyef and 360hp would dig the right main into the ground and she'd turn right. Pull the power off suddenly and the left main would dig in, turning her left. Worked a treat!