PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado pilot blames dirty windscreen for near-miss
Old 9th Apr 2011, 11:01
howiehowie93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washer Bottle

GR1 had then fitted as standard between the cockpit and the Radar bit at the front bit behind the Radome. Only ever saw them used once in Lossie;

Some aircrew type remembered they were fitted and demanded they be filled up on the next flight. Us ground crew had to look it up how to fill them and what with !!!

Any way crew in time and the Rigger Sneck came out to our HAS for a look with a big grin on his face !! Wait for it he said. Low and behold as the pressurisation kicked in and the Wash Bottle was pressurised - water started spraying everywhere out the front ! Running down the side to make a big pool by the nose wheels. Also trashed the avionics and the radar package.

Apparently its a major job to fix, involving the Radar coming out and some none simple airframe hacking to replace it ??? (I was a Sootie and didn't get involve in other trades stuff) I wonder if it was the equivalent of the Phantoom's No 1 tank where they get a particular component and build the aircraft around it ??

Prolly still fitted but I bet they still aint used !! but more likely properly documented and LIM'd out now I expect.

regards
Hwie

Last edited by howiehowie93; 9th Apr 2011 at 11:05. Reason: 'Toom bit added.