PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you look for in an FBO?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 18:04
potatowings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turnaround cost

Sorry, I do not know the cost for a light jet.

I do know they make a very tidy profit.

I'm not asking for the world free, and to be honest, I don't really care. I just offered my 2p's worth.

You can offer a top class service and great facilities and not rip the client off. Take a visit to Mallorcair in Palma, they have it absolutely spot on! If every FBO in the world copied their level of dedication to excellence the world would be a better place.

What's more is they are limited by their facilities but they more than make up for it with outstanding service. Their staff are so cheerful and even when they are busy they always make sure that someone will take the time to chat to you, if you want to chat. I didn't go there for about 2 years. I walked in and the manager greeted me by name and said that he remembered me from a previous company. Now maybe they keep a database of pilots, but even if they do, such a nice touch.

Let's face it, a can of coke and a biscuit for the crew doesn't add up to £50. Why worry? If it keeps the clients coming back it is an excellent expense. A kettle of boiling water is also not £50, so why not just do it? A few nice touches like that but a slightly, and I mean slightly higher handling bill I'm sure is a fair trade off.

Some people may not like it and I can understand that too. It is just my preference, that's all. Our owner has never complained at the costs of the services we choose to use and when on charter I've never had any issues or questions from accounts. I am very conscious of cost and consider everything a penny is spent on, but since each handling cost is built into a charter price and all handling is billed to our happy owner, where's the issue. Every one in the equation can be happy. Isn't that the role of a service provider?

Ooh, one more example, KLM Jet Centers in Holland. A 'help yourself' fridge is provided with refreshments. You can even help yourself to a beer for the taxi ride to the hotel if you want. What a touch! It can be done and is done in many places. Just the some seem to have an aversion to great service and the expense of profit no doubt. The American owned Signature chain also provides light refreshments and hot water free. Often they even slip in a kilo of ice gratis. With a full crew room not so long ago, they even had the local caterers make up two trays of sandwiches for the waiting crews. Nice touches.