PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is pilot still considered as a viable career?
Old 8th Apr 2011, 15:52
SinkRateSam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I utterly and wholeheartedly agree with the above posts.

Not that I'd know much about it really, being the young chap I am, but there are quite a few obvious risks in "putting your life and soul" into anything really nowadays, especially when considering an implausible career like that of a pilot's. Trust me, you'll most probably end up greatly embittered and disillusioned by going that way.

Don't get me wrong now, chasing their dreams is something every single person should do, but certainly not to completely devote their lives to such (questionable) dreams let alone thinking you're in some way a "special" or "superior" individual that major airlines call up for a F/O vacancy. You will need to have alternatives, you will perhaps need to be able to let go of your dreams before it's too late. I know people who have wound up in huge debts doing this, and wouldn't for the life of me like to see anyone else in the same situation.

In short: if aviation truly is the way you want to go (I'm one of these persons), don't dive forward blindfolded but instead have a backup plan, maybe some other education and a job just in case things go south. Also, as JB007 stated, it won't be long before all of the magic and wonder diminished when you do flying as a job. Remember that it's even better of a hobby and you can be thoroughly involved in aviation even though you didn't make any money out of it.
These are my thoughts. This post wasn't aimed to anyone personally so please don't take it as offensive.