PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual A/C ID
Thread: Unusual A/C ID
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 15:31
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Unusual A/C ID

PPrune is usually pretty good at this sort of thing so did any one see the same odd looking plane Isaw today
A lovely sunny day saw me drop in at Blackbushe to see whatwas going on and it is alsoa great place to see ovr flights as there are no buildings or trees of any height.

Around 1350 while Iwas looking ata contrailing KLM 777 i cught a glimpse of a silver /grey aircraft headed a little north of east on roughly the same track that I have seen aircraft inbound to Stansted from the west use.
Unfortuneatly it was alreadya little past me but it looked a little like DC3 with twin engines and wings witha swept leading edge and straight trailing edge-it 'appeared ' to have a sort of 'sting' device behind the tail like a maritime MAD fairing .

I am pretty good at aircraft recognition having wasted too much of my life gazing at the sky but this puzzled me. I would have felt sure it was a DC3 but it seemed to be moving a little fast but then guessing speed and altitude of an overflying aircraft is very hard-I would guess it was around 9-10,000 and clealry ahd to be above the LHR traffic but then thatseems abit high for a non pressurised DC3. I have looked on radar virtuel, I can get the time precisely because of KLM 777 I saw but there is nothing shown for this-so any ideas please.