PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 13:16
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Possible behaviour of a MLG leg if still retracted at impact

Quote from mm43:
I thought I had proposed a similar look at the relative forces involved in post #3106, but may be it got overlooked, because I believe that Chris Scott came up with a similar scheme a little later in post #3143.

It was also post #3134, actually, but you evidently got their first. You were just too subtle and succinct, I guess!

JD-EE, I think we agree about the initial sequence. CliveL has written an excellent post, as did PJ2, and they both seem to be on similar lines. It's what happens once the bogie/truck has fully emerged from the bay that is less clear.

Yesterday evening, exchanging PMs with HN39, he included the following : "I doubt that the difference in breaking force exerted at the two ends, integrated over the milliseconds time interval that it operates, against the moment of inertia of the gear in pivoting, would be sufficient to pivot the gear over 90 degrees to its 'down' position."

Taking account of what he had said, I offered him this: "I think the bogie/truck would barely decelerate initially, crashing through the flimsy door. But, as you say, it would soon be pivoting outwards (we have seen its pivot has survived). Also, by this time it would encounter the drag of the water. So I share your doubt that it would swing all the way into the fully extended position it looks to be in now. I should be very surprised if it had been in the extended position at the end of the flight, so further extension by gravity seems the most likely explanation."

Chris

Last edited by Chris Scott; 8th Apr 2011 at 16:29. Reason: Title amended; Para 3 extended.