PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A400M Flight Testing Progress
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 12:57
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel "Airblish"

Bit of pernicketry first - I hope VX's command of "English English" usually extended to his spelling of "reprimanded" when checking Airbus documentation ... Mustn't let the side down, you know ...

A private rule I used during my years of writing material for my Airbus colleagues was "always think of who your intended readers are". As most likely perusers of, for example Tech Docs will have learned their English outside UK, they'll follow your reasoning a bit more easily if you use the probably American spelling they also use. Similarly, if you're words are directed to BA or British Ministers, don't cause potential offence by using US conventions. And, if the person above you insists on US usage, and you can't abide "airplane" - why not choose "aircraft", which is neutral and possibly more learned-sounding ?

UK (unfortunately?) is a very small proportion of the world market in any case, and however much many of us regret that, (shades of "Empire of the Clouds") British spelling of English is a minority affair.

BTW - There were, though, lots of unusual flavours (probably still are) in documents produced by many a multi-lingual service - lots of fun in that, which could be smoothed out with a bit of tact.

PS I also once worked in Germany on Docs produced by many subcontractors across the world. We reckoned the notice on the office door should read "Hier est Anglofranzoski gespoken". The MD liked the idea too ...