PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVR & RoS
Thread: PVR & RoS
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 11:39
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
It would appear (and I chose that word deliberately) to me that the RAF are being very inflexible in their approach to the current redundancy round.

I seem to remember reading in some offical document lately that if the criteria for redundancy was a minimum of 3 years in rank then it was no use applying if you had 2 years 364 days in rank, it actually specified it in those exact terms, implying there was no leeway for discretion. The situation of the OP on this thread is another case in point. His 6 years ROS is up in early 2013, so presumably we are talking 24 months or less, and his DO is keeping him on because he "might" have a job for him! First of all I consider it highly unlikely that a post, for which the OP will also have received the necessary training, will be filled in that sort of timescale, especially since the OP will no doubt not be posted until the ISK Sqns formally close in late May. Secondly, is not the DO just setting himself up for a fall, by putting a diseffected OP into a job he doesn't want, with the prospect of him simply PVRing in early 2013, requiring the DO to find someone else to fill this "might have" post.

Surely a fairly high degree of discretion is required by the selection process for redundancy, on the basis that a volunteer is worth 10 pressed men. Or would this create such a deluge of extra work for the DOs, as there is a massive demand out there for people seeking redundancy. If there is, that in itself tells a story....