PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Security Gap
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2002, 15:32
Kerosene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needles on Swiss flights

Recently flew on a LX A330 from ZRH to the Middle East and was puzzled by a procedure conducted by the cabin crew before a stopover which poses a potential security hazard.

Seats of continuing passengers were marked with little signs "occupied/besetzt" which were attached to five cm long and two mm thick sharp pointy needles. The needles were stuck into the headrest area of the passenger seats. When the procedure was completed around half of the passenger seats were fitted with the signs.

The needles can make a dangerous weapon in the hands of determined attackers. I brought this to the attention of a cabin crew member who agreed but said that there was no complete security anyway.

What is the point in asking our passengers not to bring comparatively harmless nail clippers in their hand luggage when we are distributing potentially dangerous items in the cabin?

I asked the cabin crew member to report my complaint to his superiors but on the return flight I found that same procedure still being used. Stickers could do the same job without posing a hazard.

I hope this posting will come to the attention of people at Swiss and will bring an end to the distribution of needles in the passenger cabin.

Rgds

Last edited by Kerosene; 23rd Sep 2002 at 16:45.