PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 07:54
Savannah Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems on here that that the basic issue is one that anyone with any common sense would realise. You dont know what is going on at the other end of the RT.

Whilst ATC find it easy to critisize crews an apparent lack of knowledge, I have come across frequent examples at work of controllers displaying a complete lack of appreciation of what pressures and situations crews have to cope with. But will they ask their line manager for a fam-flight to be arranged for them ? Hmmmm...

Much as I want to defend my profession, it is true that there is a a distinct variation amongst ATC controllers about empathy with the guy at the other end of the mike. And the terse response regarding the "Lamborne" incident is, sadly, not as isolated incident as we would like.

Providing a Basic Service, I have encountered a few idiots with a "5 hrs a year" PPL, but also the majority who do know what they're doing. There will always be a variation in standards as long as they exceed the required minimum. I like think when I complete a shift that I've done a good job and been as helpful as possible, and tried to enhance our ATC reputation.

i read the initial thread and my gut reaction was "hmm, does this guy know what he is doing?", but having given it some thought and read various replies, its obvious there is a lack of understanding on both sides to a certain degree, and that there are also some very blinkered replies.

I've done loads of fam-flights, especially pre 9/11, mostly off my own back, as I love airplanes and flying. Especially in the US, things can be VERY different, as well as in some of the more obscure EU destinations. To expect crews to be familiar with every piece of airspace and procedure is completely unrealistic (though no excuse for poor preparation of course). If crews need help, then it should be offered - thats ultimately what ATC is there for.

Until controllers take more interest in the jobs the people they provide a service for are doing, and until crews make the effort to come and look around a busy ATC unit, these misconceptions (and subsequent snipping) will always be there.