PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5th C-17 for RAAF
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 04:03
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes TBM-L, I am looking at one scenario based on 50 plus years of comprehensive RAAF experience in our regional tropical archipelago where there are numerous airfields probably unsuited to C-17 operations. The forward airfields in Afghanistan have perhaps been enhanced for C-17 ops.

It is far more cost-effective to quickly deploy smallish forces as near as practicable to the area of operations than having to utilize KC-30 or whatever into airliner suitable airheads with need for cargo handling gear and additional in-theatre transportation for on-move of troops and equipment. Similar problems with slower sea lift and especially for movement of heavy military hardware in the wet tropics.

My basic point is our defence planners seem to be dismissive of highly desirable flexibility in mounting operations and have focused mainly on strategic movement of larger expeditionary forces.

We could have had an optimised C-130 force including AAR and AC capabilities for money wasted (in my view) on the KC-30. Hercs would have been adequate for F-18 tankering, provided potential for flight-refuelable Blackhawks and long range/endurance all weather firepower for remote area operations. Why has Australia not learned from US operating practices?