PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Consultation Draft Part 91.
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 01:50
aroa

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Easy, peasy.....

91.2000X
(1) The pilot of a motor glider commits an offence if he or she, flies a motor glider, regardless of its source of motive force: reciprocating piston engine, turbine engine, or electric motor, if...
(a) at the termination of the flight the..
(i) fuel tank does not contain sufficient fuel remaining for 30 minutes of flight at normal cruise speed, or
(ii) the battery pack for the electric motor does not retain sufficient charge to operate that motor for 30 minutes at sustainable cruise speed.
(iii) lands the motor glider as a non-powered glider, having no motive means once on the ground.
(iv) Failure to comply with 91.2000X (1) (a) (i) or (ii) or(iii) is an offence under the Act

This offence is a criminal offence of strict liability, see Sec. 6.1 of the criminal code.
50 penalty points. (Or jail, preferably)

Note: It is proposed to make an NPRM to advise Australia that a safety regulations will be made regarding motor gliders that have a self-launching capability only, eg; as in a solid fuel, one shot rocket launch that gives the glider no further powered flight sustainability, thus avoiding the safety requirements of 30 mins fuel on landing and not landing "motor-less".

CASA is not sure that this does not constitute an extreme danger to the public on the ground. A Panel of Experts within the Authority will convene
to decide if this sort of activity should not be banned.
Until CASA is satisfied , (bet you've heard that before)that an aircraft landing without its own means of motive force is deemed to be safe, this sort of activity cannot proceed until a new regulation set is in place.
THe NPRM will be issued in 2013 and a final rule is expected to be made by 2019.
What happens after that wont matter because the asteroid heading our way in 2019 might NOT bypass Earth.!

Jeez, reg writing is fun, maybe Ive missed my calling.
Let me do some.. while CASA has got GA on its knees, I could cobble up some regs that would really kick it in the head while its down, and put GA out of our collective miseries.

Ooops .. too late!.. CASA are already in the process of doing that.