PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 8th Apr 2011, 00:57
wickedsheep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RVR600

I’m sorry, but you’re either NATS management trying to split the work force or you’re naive enough to do the job for them with your comments.

The Prospect ATCOs’ Branch wouldn’t touch MET if PCS wouldn’t agree to let them do so. There may not be a high uptake at your unit to take VR but at some of the other units the desire for VR amongst the ATSAs has actually outstripped the availability. Quite a few of them realise as well that in a few years’ time most of their jobs, especially at EFPS equipped airport units, will be replaced by fully automated MET systems anyway and they are happy to take the extra money whilst it’s still available.

I know that most of the ATCOs are not exactly jumping up and down to take on MET but with the above in mind, if we ATCOs are going to do it we might as well try to get the best possible deal out of it whilst the task hasn’t been fully automated yet and there is still a need for NATS to pay someone for it. Be under no illusion, the ATSA job at airports is going whether we like it or not. NATS have already started recruiting contractors at some airports to cover for the ATSA VR but this won’t be a long-term solution and they’ll be gone when technology permits.

Anyway, instead of directing all this anger and frustration towards each other and the union I think we should support them during these difficult negotiations. There have been people in the past on this forum complaining about the union keeping their powder dry. Well, as said before we have asked our reps to take a stand, now is the time for us to stand with them and show management we’re united and ready to take them on!