PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Ospreys over Bury St. Edmunds.
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 22:10
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Ospreys

Hi Jem
I am not sure how many of these things are around the UK, but last week i was walking the dogs over our local dunes in Hayle West Cornwall early evening and this strange sound came up from the west.Strange that is because they sound like jets rather than t/props but the speed (noise change related) is much slower than you would expect from a jet.
As it was i just glimpsed two of them, it was a couple of V22's and the first i have seen/heard.
Really strange and i guessed they were doing about 200-230 knots and it was approaching dusk so no idea where they were heading.
They may have been off a carrier in the western approaches (perhaps they were on their way to a Newquay night club for the evening).
Anyway it was a bit like "star trek" and an unusual interlude on a quiet evening stroll.
I am used to seeing Hawks zipping around low level down here so the sound-speed thing was the interesting part of the event.
I bet they are expensive to service/operate but heaps of fun for the drivers.
I see that they are being used in Libya, but have no idea if this is related to my sighting.
Interestingly many years ago the Chief Pilot at Penzance heliport mentioned to me that they would be a great machine for the "Scillies" operation when the S61 was retired, but i have no idea if a "civvy" version was ever certified let alone the COST.

Last edited by POBJOY; 7th Apr 2011 at 22:29.