PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 22:07
Tutaewera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with ya sunfish

Sunfish is on the ball in my view. No real vision in CASA that I can see...

CASAweary IMHO you speak the truth, and it sounds like you have inside info well beyond mine. The issue for me has always been a complete lack of national standardisation for the application of Regs, CAO's etc. Its always (IME) been a case of local opinion being enforced (or bullied) as "regulation".

If an AWI, ATI or FOI takes a dislike to you or your organisation they can simply make up any BS they feel like (often its just whatever their last employer did) as a "requirement" using the pitifully vague and open Ozzie aviation reg system as justification. Unless the AOC holder has the $$ and balls to take them on in court they have no choice but to do whatever the ego of that CASA staff member demands. Good job that in WA some operators are doing just that. In my view CASA has operated like a rogue agency, and its about time they got taught a lesson...

In the recent past that wasn't so bad as under Bruce Byron CASA's job was to consult and assist / guide operators, so together the industry got the job done in a positive way. But now, under what others have described to me as the abusive egomaniac now running the show it seems to be more like "attack the industry", whether the CASA staff members views are correct or not. Maybe simply to show Zeno and co that CASA is actually doing "something", even if the "something" is way off base...

I pity the poor FOI's and AWI's given that "fun" job now. If I was them I'd get all my assetts out of my name ASAP, as I have a feeling industry is about to strike back. CASA staff who exceed their powers, etc will have no legal protection from their employer...

Under the FAA (or the similar kiwi system) there is a logical framework of rules, supported by detailed AC's. That way the law is the law and any FOI/AWI who tries going beyond them can be bollocked. Its not totally prescriptive, there is room to make up your own methods of compliance.

I am amazed at how long the process of regulatory reform is taking here. Guess its great for CASA's legal team. There jobs will last for ever at this rate... Another poster suggested sacking all of CASA and adopting the well developed NZ rule system, then getting CASA staff to reapply for their jobs under a new regulatory framework. Sad to to say but maybe theres some wisdom in that idea. How about some pollies show some balls and do just that?

Maybe when Zeno is finished with his current rave he can get into CASA? In my view they need it. IMHO they are a big part of our industry problems...