PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haemoglobin Low
Thread: Haemoglobin Low
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 21:01
Spitoon

And what the flipp are the CAA doing measuring Hb's?
As I understand it, the current medical requirements are set by EASA (developed from JAA agreed standards?).

When developing such standards and requirements the way that EASA appears to work is to take the worst of all solutions that have existed within the EU and then to add some irrational PITA rules because someone writing the rules thinks it's a good idea....whether it's relevant or not. In the area or medicals we seem to have moved from a check that a pilot or controller is likely to be medically fit enough to do their job until their next routine medical to a regime of health screening that looks at the candidate's probability of meeting the requirements far into the future. Maybe such screening and the associated advice is a good thing - but surely is not part of the aviation regulatory framework.

P.S. - I was told I had a low haemoglobin level (and unusually little red blood cells) following blood checks during a short hospital stay about a year ago. The hospital doc reccommended that I see my GP to investigate the slightly odd values. My GP said the results weren't odd enough to warrant further investigation. And I'm still h