PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 20:50
JonDyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi wwelvaert,

I'm a UK based pilot and I wouldn't take issue with anything you've described. I think some of the contributers here are being slightly disingenuous when they suggest that you are in someway at fault.

1) Filed my IFR flightplan with EuroControl accepted route from Wick to Biggin Hill.

2) Flew about 80 miles of my planned route and then no part of it for the rest of the trip. (this is fairly similar in mainland Europe)
This is fairly typical when transiting the UK North/South. I have flown London to Scotland all on a HDG, no airways at all - and that is in the upper flight levels. At 090 you will be off airways for some or most of your route.

3) Every other controller asks me "what kind of service are you requesting?" How about the "I don't want to run into any other aircraft" service. I know we are all aware of limitations of ground based infrastructure and controlled airspace, but outside of those issues, these various service levels just seem pointless.
It is what it is - understaffed and underfunded. To be honest you are fortunate you were offered a comprehensive service outside CAS. I have been dumped out of CAS in the NW corner of London, doing 250kts and heading towards Oxford with a "squawk 7000 and freecall..." No chance of saying, "hang on a minute, I don't want to go VFR right now..."

4) I got perhaps 8 to 12 different transponder codes between Wick and Biggin Hill. That's more codes than I got on the entire trip from Quebec City to Scotland!

5) At one point near NewCastle (don't land there after 8:00 pm) a controller tells me to squawk 7000 and go to the next frequency. Like an idiot I comply, only to be told by the next controller to maintain VFR clear of controlled airspace. Took a few minutes to sort out the idea that I was on an active IFR flight plan on an assigned route.
I don't know about these - probably bad luck and a busy controller who perhaps didn't notice your IFR f/p. You evidently took it in your stride.

6) I pick up the ATIS at Biggin Hill well in advance. Weather was ceiling 600 broken with reasonable visibility. The ATIS gave me runway in use but no approach information. The ATIS stated RY03 in use but the only approach that I could find was ILS21. It's not above me to screw up an approach plate or have overlooked something in the trip kit, but I planned for ILS21.

7) I requested vectors to ILS21 and the controller said he'd pass on the request. The next several controllers gave me headings to fly for traffic purposes, but still no confirmation as to the approach.
This bit is a bit confusing. I guess BQH is idiosyncratic - but there is only the one approach to RWY 21. 9kts of tail is just about within the cababilities of most commercial traffic. It is hard to see exactly who could get in on 03 since there was a 600ft cloud base - so I see your point I guess. The controllers weren't giving you vectors for the approach (as you mention) but steers for your course. You needed to cross the inbound approach to LCY and the climbout from STN. It's a busy bit of airspace.

8) About 25 miles out or so a controller tells me "fly direct Lambourne". I said "I'm sorry I thought we were being radar vectored, can you give us the identifier for Lambourne". (I did try to get familiar with the area before the flight, but couldn't immediately place Lambourne).

His response: "NEGATIVE". And then he proceeds to rattle off nonstop instructions to a handful of other aircraft, no one able to get a word in edgewise.

Now I was getting a wee bit unhappy. It took me a moment to find Lambourne and punch it in the GPS.
This is simply a grumpy, unhelpful (and possibly overworked) controller. Of course you don't have to know the names of all VORs in the UK. I've been on the receiving end of this sort of bull**** myself. Everybody's approach will be different. Me - I'd have been back on, using up airtime until he gave me the LAM that he should have provided in the first place. YMMV

9) This same controller now turns me over to Thames radar who finally confirms that I'll be vectored for ILS21. If he had given me anything else I would have been in trouble trying to change my approach setup at that late of a stage. By the way, the ILS gave me a 9 knot tailwind, but I'd rather take that than circling with a 600 ft ceiling any day.

10) The Thames radar controller (who was not busy) vectored me through the final approach course and then back. He cleared me for the approach on my second intercept FROM ABOVE THE GLIDESLOPE something like 4.5 miles out! He did almost immediately thereafter offer to take me back around and vector me for a proper intercept, but as I quickly got ground contact I just made a steep approach to about 500 feet and got stabilized for a reasonable landing.
It was only Thames who can vector you for BQH - it's just the way it is. Biggin is established OCAS with no more than an overlarge ATZ to protect it. Changing approach setup at the last minute can be a feature of European aviation I'm afraid. I know of a crew that had six RWY changes inbound to Schipol one time.

Thames sometimes vector through on purpose (because they are also controlling perpendicular traffic into LCY, and sometimes they do it by accident - often not helped by crew charging around at 240kts 8 miles out of Biggin. The 4.5 miles is standard for Biggin. If I remember correctly the GS comes in at about 1800ft! There is no real procedure for BQH, it's just vectors to a low-level intercept on the ILS.

All in all it seems you picked a fine day to (leave me Lucille) do a tricky little route.

It's not just you - but you are flying at an unusual level, at an unusual speed, in unusual airspace. Like any trip - whether it goes easy or tricky can be simply a matter of luck. You had a bit of luck against you (but nothing you couldn't handle) coupled with unfamiliar procedures where the people you were talking to expected you to be familiar. It's not a rule that you have to know - they just expected that you did.

Sounds like you should be pleased with yourself that it passed off uneventful.