PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 19:01
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can understand where the original poster is coming from.

Sometimes UK pilots have a tendency to think that their ATC system is best and should be a role-model for the rest of the world. I will say that generally speaking UK controllers are indeed very good. However, the UK system has lot's of differences to ICAO and I agree that it doesn't help to have country specific terms such as basic service, deconfliction service etc.

Imagine if we had to put of with those kind of national differences everywhere. Impossible. Same for expecting a foreign pilot to immediately recognise the name of a VOR and find it on the chart. I think the least ATC could do would be to offer the three letter code.

Also being on vectors when in the terminal area only to be told to go to a VOR (which may or may not be on the STAR you were expecting can be surprising.

Same thing for "remain outside controlled airspace" when on an IFR flightplan.

Again, Britisch ATC is generally world class but the procedures and phraseology differ considerably from ICAO standard and are nowhere near as intuitive and user-friendly as in the US.

Having said all that, flying into major airports is easy in the UK, it's those smaller places surrounded by uncontrolled airspace that I find a bit more unusual.