PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 16:54
wwelvaert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it me... or the UK ATC system?

I'm just wondering if any of you guys/gals who fly more frequently in the UK have any advice... Let's say IFR, piston engine aircraft, 10,000 feet, that type of operation.

Just to set the stage, I flew quite a bit of IFR in mainland Europe and the UK many moons ago (1990s) and nowadays I occasionally ferry airplanes, typically between the US and Europe.

No offense intended to the British (outside of their ATC I really love the place), but I have to say the UK ATC gives me more grief than anyone else between Pisco and Wroclaw. Here's how my latest trip went, but it's fairly representative of most of them:

1) Filed my IFR flightplan with EuroControl accepted route from Wick to Biggin Hill.

2) Flew about 80 miles of my planned route and then no part of it for the rest of the trip. (this is fairly similar in mainland Europe)

3) Every other controller asks me "what kind of service are you requesting?" How about the "I don't want to run into any other aircraft" service. I know we are all aware of limitations of ground based infrastructure and controlled airspace, but outside of those issues, these various service levels just seem pointless.

4) I got perhaps 8 to 12 different transponder codes between Wick and Biggin Hill. That's more codes than I got on the entire trip from Quebec City to Scotland!

5) At one point near NewCastle (don't land there after 8:00 pm) a controller tells me to squawk 7000 and go to the next frequency. Like an idiot I comply, only to be told by the next controller to maintain VFR clear of controlled airspace. Took a few minutes to sort out the idea that I was on an active IFR flight plan on an assigned route.

Just to set the stage some more: the weather was severe clear from Wick to about 60 miles north of London, at which point it went to solid IFR due to a weak stationary front over the English Channel.

6) I pick up the ATIS at Biggin Hill well in advance. Weather was ceiling 600 broken with reasonable visibility. The ATIS gave me runway in use but no approach information. The ATIS stated RY03 in use but the only approach that I could find was ILS21. It's not above me to screw up an approach plate or have overlooked something in the trip kit, but I planned for ILS21.

7) I requested vectors to ILS21 and the controller said he'd pass on the request. The next several controllers gave me headings to fly for traffic purposes, but still no confirmation as to the approach.

8) About 25 miles out or so a controller tells me "fly direct Lambourne". I said "I'm sorry I thought we were being radar vectored, can you give us the identifier for Lambourne". (I did try to get familiar with the area before the flight, but couldn't immediately place Lambourne).

His response: "NEGATIVE". And then he proceeds to rattle off nonstop instructions to a handful of other aircraft, no one able to get a word in edgewise.

Now I was getting a wee bit unhappy. It took me a moment to find Lambourne and punch it in the GPS.

9) This same controller now turns me over to Thames radar who finally confirms that I'll be vectored for ILS21. If he had given me anything else I would have been in trouble trying to change my approach setup at that late of a stage. By the way, the ILS gave me a 9 knot tailwind, but I'd rather take that than circling with a 600 ft ceiling any day.

10) The Thames radar controller (who was not busy) vectored me through the final approach course and then back. He cleared me for the approach on my second intercept FROM ABOVE THE GLIDESLOPE something like 4.5 miles out! He did almost immediately thereafter offer to take me back around and vector me for a proper intercept, but as I quickly got ground contact I just made a steep approach to about 500 feet and got stabilized for a reasonable landing.

Sorry to fuss and complain, and I'm not saying any of these issues by themselves would be a problem, but put it all together and I'd have to say the extra workload is a potential safety issue.

Finally, I understand the system's priority is airliners and they do a good job at that, but GA airplanes flying IFR are comparatively few and far between, so it's not that much of a system resource.

Sorry for venting, any suggestions for an easier cruise over the UK greatly appreciated!