PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying A Stampe SV-4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 21:10
PPRuNe Pop
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some 450 hours in the Tiger (usually ACDC) and about 150 in the Stampe,(Hi!) including EF, and the man with the name knows what he is talking about. However, I believe the Renault engined Stampe was a Belgian variant. We had one at Biggin Hill for a time and I liked it. However, 'Stampe' the Tiger was a bitch to some guys but that was always usually because it had to FLOWN. The Stampe is a lot more forgiving. I was a check pilot at the TC for about 8 years and the transition from the Tiger to the Stampe was by and large a very simple one - but not the other way round.

Aeros in the Stampe were a delight. In the Tiger they were hard work but both had good spin qualities but when rolling - the Tiger was not so good.

As for maintenance I recall one of the Stampe's had an oil soaked main spar that was quite worrying but I have no idea what was done, and I can't remember whether it was TKC or WEF. But they did get very oily. As for engines the Gypsy was the best for me and when I was displaying I used OBX, which had a 10c. That changed everything.