PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kingston uni - Foundation degree and job prospects to be "B" licensed
Old 7th Apr 2011, 15:49
Dodo56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironchefflay
i really dont get why a college or university runs a course like this. its one thing doing the academics, by all means run a course that is geared towards aviation maintenance, but dont run it with the modules included. There is little point running a course to get the modules for Ab-initio students, if you cannot provide the experience requirement to go with it. since the educational establishments cannot control who gets hired, its pointless.

its all very well for ICAO to talk about the future shortages of engineers and for the CAA and universities to get together to run these courses but unless there is work out there at the time, or the few lucky students are willing/able to relocate where there are jobs, then they wont get very far. i think this is an instance where apprenticeships would be more appropriate, even mature apprentices.
I absolutely agree apprenticeships are what's needed, though there's little that companies can do off their own backs as it's a long and expensive process, typically only to see their carefully nurtured time-served guys heading off to whoever offers them best dollar. There might be more incentive to do this if the gummint funded training, wages or tuition but those days are long gone, thanks a bloody million Maggie.

As for the colleges, there is a use for the courses among back office staff - records, planning etc, but at a guess the main beneficiaries of these courses are the colleges who earn money providing them!