PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Consultation Draft Part 91.
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 10:19
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
One of my favourite activities is taking a biplane up for some aerobatics near the end of the day on a beautiful Victorian Autumn day. Clear blue skies and totally calm. Stop the aeroplane and get out well before last light.

But just imagine what the CASA guy would say to me when I got down if these new rules go ahead.

There was no evidence that I assessed the weather, checked take-off and landing performance, checked weight and cg. I must admit that the rules don't require that any paperwork be retained as evidence - but the CASA guy didn't see me do it so I need to prove that I did.

I didn't perform the pre-flight inspection per the flight manual - did not look inside wheel fairings for mud.

Took off, birds in the way so turned a little early. Another 50 penalty points.

I did some aerobatics. Flew numerous tracks contrary to the specified cruising level for a VFR flight.

Stopped it on the taxi-way in front of the hangar then went inside to look for some-one to help me push it in.

That's when the CASA would collar me.

Well before last light but the sun had just gone down as I taxied in. Poor visibility he said and I needed cockpit lighting, navigation lights, anti-collision light, landing light and torch. Day VFR and the aeroplane doesn't have any lights at all - doesn't matter he said, you broke the rule, it was poor visibility (guess who decides what poor visibility is) for the last couple of minutes.

Been talking to him for a while now and it is quite dark outside. The aeroplane is now a danger to other aircraft on the taxi-way. Another 50 penalty points.

Let me see - that is a maximun fine of about $99,000 for one short flight.