PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIBYA (Merged) Use this thread ONLY
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 06:53
lj101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justanopinion - I'm sure you understand there is a difference between availibilty of certain fuel for 'one-off' transit stops and the availability of same said fuel if there were a requirement to mount sustained ops?

The cost of having to flush/fill/flush available tankers/hydrant fuel systems to cater for an occassional a/c passing through would most likely be the reason they state "only F44 available" but as I stated, it'd be very unusual for a land-based facility holding such stocks not to have F35 as this is the base product from which F44 is derived.

To return to the point I mentioned earlier, for operations in Iraq there were no large quanities of F34 available in theatre, which meant having to receive F35, adding AL48 on receipt and then forwarding stocks within theatre to cater for outlying sites as well as retaining sufficiant stocks to cater for Basrah AB elements as well as airbridge requirements. All this was done via a single blending rig, a relatvely small amount of EBFI pipework and an 10x136k litre TFC farm (2 for F35, 8 for F34), something that can be setup in very little time.

You seem to be comparing the issues you had on what, a transit through Sig, to what is possible/available in order to sustain longer term ops. The two aren't comparable.
Perhaps the helpful stacker could have a word? This was his reply when JAO mentioned the snag of F44 being the only fuel available in Sigonella...