PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 03:07
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I just took a quick look at my Pilot's notes for that period and it mentions that post Mod SEM 018, a Dittel ATR720B VHF radio set was installed. When I was a student at the FSS (Flying Selection Squadron) in 1985, only WD331 had the Dittel installed as it was the air racing aircraft. I went back there in 1991 as an instructor and all 15 aircraft of the now re-named EFTS had the Dittel, as well as a new UHF set which you could tune rather than relying on having the correct crystal loaded! We used to fly the aircraft above 8/8ths in 1985, but in 1991 that was only allowed with a second or standby radio. It's possible that the FSS Chippies weren't complying - I remember on the Jet Provost in 1985, the fairly unreliable two channel Standby UHF was a no-go item. So the dual radio regulation may be prior to 1985.

The Dittel was a local mod and only the EFTS Chippies were fitted with it. EFTS were the only Chipmunk unit at the time regularly flying their aircraft IMC and we all had current instrument ratings, whereas most of the other units, the Air Experience Flights were limited to VMC only.

Dora-9: Your aircraft had the Dittel fitted as an EFTS aircraft. It was also the air-racing mount for a couple of seasons.

Aerials - I don't think the racing aircraft had a different prop - it was just a newer cleaner one. At the time we only had the one prop type. There was a slightly finer one available for glider towing, but not in 1985. WD331 did get wider jets in the carburettor and a few other mods including removal of the heater which involved re-fitting the earlier more aerodynamicly cleaner exhaust. Your extra aerial must have added a bit of drag though! The racing aircraft were still Squadron airframes and were used for flying instruction - but not often given to students to fly solo.

Last edited by Dan Winterland; 7th Apr 2011 at 06:06.