PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - strangest freight
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 23:18
midiron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems. as if animals are always the strangest freight. I once had a very large sled dog team in a very small airplane--Piper Chieftain. Most of the seats were out, so, looking back, it was all sled, bags, 13 dogs, and one musher. After not too long, two of the females fell out, and the view looking back was just teeth, claws and flying fur. Quite a sight, lots like a really bad bar fight. The musher solved it all by literally wading into the fray and biting one of the offending dogs as hard as he could on her right ear. After that, all was quickly quiet, and he looked up at me and grinned.

Otherwise, a 747 should hold about 170 pregnant cows. But, when that mission suffers big delays, those ladies start having big problems if they are not off-loaded and watered. One of the most entertaining experiences of my career so far was watching my flight engineer trying to coax our local handlers into recruiting some willing local rancher into helping us. Which they did, and all was well. Nearly 200 pregnant cows on a Belgian cargo ramp is quite a sight.