PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Future MPA
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 20:46
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd be amazed if you can get your new design contra-rotating turboshafts to match the reliability of an already well developed ETOPS aircraft.
I think the reliability is a set requirement.

So here's my problem, the production numbers are dream land simply because it's not built by an American company, so all the allies who buy American to strengthen trade links aren't going to buy it. As a European project you might sell 100 ish maybe?
Times are changing. Congress had to block a massive KC30 sale, the army is buying a large fleet of Eurocopters, the coastguard EADS CN-295s. Saudi Arabia, UK and Emirates buy European tankers. Had you thought so 15 yrs ago?

Indeed, but it would be cheaper to use them in an A400M, CN295 or A350 rather than spending billions going after a fuel saving. Fuel is cheap, new aircraft types aren't. In terms of flight envelope i'd be interested to see how far beyond the capabilities of A400M you're planning to go, I suspect that's an aircraft already capable of being thrown around a MAD circle if so desired.
Alternatively the A400M's TP400 could offer a proven alternative.
They certainly do... in an A400M.
I think it's hard to find someone that has more confidence in the A400M future than I do. I think it solely covers an enormous niche and seems right sized / specified for a big market share in the next 20 yrs. I think even the Americans will order it, kicking and screaming..

Suggesting a very large 4 engined, expensive transport aircraft without a bomb bay for MPA. I guess the Ministry of Defence would get a meld down. However, they are the ones being convinced the Nimrod was good AEW and rebuilding those Nimrods after 50 years was actually a brilliant move..

I think future proof, lighter, flexible, adaptable, multirole makes a better option.. You have to get the old European Atlantique and Orion operators into the mix of course.

this one: 2 auxiliary fuel tanks, 2 NSM missiles, 3 Sting Ray torpedo's in the main bay and 2 sonobuoy rotary launchers in the auxiliary bay, 10 crew members, photo taken from an airtanker

Last edited by keesje; 7th Apr 2011 at 16:24.