PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is pilot still considered as a viable career?
Old 6th Apr 2011, 12:23
KAG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 500man, I agree, we won't all die because of the fuel price. Meanwhile it was not my point. I know "viable" is kind of a biological term, but I don't speak about a feotus, a human being, or even a plant. I speak about the pilot career and the relevance to choose it as its own for a young person in April 2011.

Stuckgear, you are right, fuel is no the only issue for a future pilot career, but I beleive this is both the most important and the most underestimated one.

Gaz45, it seems you know where you go.

BA raises fuel surcharge by a further £10 on long-haul flights
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:31 PM on 6th April 2011

Travellers received another financial blow this morning as British Airways announced an increase to its fuel surcharge on long-haul flights.

The price hike will come into force on Friday.
Economy class passengers will be charged an extra £10, while those flying in business or first class will see an extra £20 added to the cost of their ticket.
Does it sound familar? Deja vue?

By Scott Cendrowski, writer-reporter April 4, 2011: 3:23 PM ET, CNN
Most of the major airlines have also decided to cut back growth plans -- what the industry calls capacity expansion -- for 2011. United Continental, American Airlines, and US Airways have all said they've trimmed planned expansions.

Which brings us back to the déjà vu moment: airlines aren't likely strong enough today to post profits with crude topping $100 a barrel for any extended period.