PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 11:49
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi SaturnV. There are plenty of questions here, and we still do not have enough information to answer them.

I strongly believe that the debris found was always floating somewhere. It was simply not found. Either they overflew it and missed it, or they were searching the wrong area.

Debris can be very easy to miss in rough seas - it is difficult to see amongst all the white water. If you look at the image of the divers recovering the VS however, it is clear that the sea was very calm (at least at that time). So that does not appear to be the explanation.

There was certainly overcast, and this would have hampered the search.

With a lot of ocean to search, they probably flew at a relatively high level ie they decided to maximise the area covered at the expense of resolution. They searched an area of approximately 120 x 60 miles over the first few days. This is a very substantial search given it is right in the middle of the ocean, so they were clearly trying to cover plenty of area. This makes sense. They didn't know what had happened or where to look, but would almost certainly have still been hoping for survivors. Therefore they likely conducted an extensive low resolution search (looking for life rafts etc and knowing they needed to be found quickly). So I expect they flew high with fairly wide tracks so as to increase the "searched area", but also increase the risk of missing something within that area (especially with cloud).

I guess they were just unlucky. The total amount of debris recovered is not a lot, and is easy to miss from the air when you don't know where to look.

Does anyone have any idea where the location supposedly is. They have hinted close to LKP, but I wonder if this is disinformation.