PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 11:28
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently "converted" to Linux having had my computer trashed by a very virrulent virus late last year.

Everything appeared ok until a recent potentially catastrophic problem with a full root partition, which prevented me logging on with little or no warning. Having managed to solve the proble without knowing how I have to say that my experience is now rather jaded.

From an aviation perspective the obvious issue is there being very little available by way of aviation applications written for Linux. About the only one I can think of is Notam Plot. In terms of flight planning software NavBox will just about run under Wine, but nothing else will, especially Skydemon, which has to be the most advanced VFR planning software currently available.

Generally, achieving the same functionality as Windows 7 has been a chore. For example, getting the right version of Java to run Afpex took days. Open Office, whilst good, still has some bugs which cause problems and several times I have reverted to Windows to edit stuff.

So, whilst I like not having to constantly fend off virus attacks I find myself on the point of junking Linux on my dual boot laptop and returning to the Windows 7 fold.