PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB rubbish single pilot IFR experience when it comes to being an airline pilot.
Old 6th Apr 2011, 04:24
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ah, that fatal snap decision

TM,

I don't see a problem with a pilot coming back to a jet transport.
I don't either. But this goes to the heart of what sort of experience is good experience and perhaps, more importantly, what if any potential issues may arise from that experience.

He will certainly have been given recurrent training in the simulator. A bit of asymmetric - lots of instrument flying on autopilot - and hopefully some hands on raw data flying. Then some re-current line training. How much more does a pilot need to get back to basic jet handling?
I think you hit one nail on the head, but perhaps missed the split in the timber. All of that training will go a long way towards "getting back into the jet". However, the nature of that training would be unlikely to delve too far into an esoteric discussion and demonstration of how just one or two bad snaps can lead to a cascading series of errors of increasing intensity.

Have you ever noticed how each of us has a slightly different view of what we can do to rescue a badly set up approach? Have you sat there while the person you are line training says "I can make it" but you know that the real lesson is "don't even think about it"? Have you let them do it so that the lesson is indelible or just vetoed the plan in the interests of the conduct of normal operations?

I reckon this was one of those times, but the difference is that the Captain made the snap and it was happening before the copilot could do or say anything.

My original point about this is straightforward: how do we accurately identify a potential for rare but inappropriate action in the heat of the moment? If it surfaces during training, we address it as best we can. But I reckon we all have the potential to act inexplicably on occasion because we are not mindless automatons and because we have to analyse, choose, act and review endlessly as part of our role as pilots. Trying to corral that potential is much more than a training issue.

All the old sayings about "superior pilots are those who avoid the need for their superior skills" and heeding the lessons of the past etc are all statements about experience and its value as the fourth criteria after skills, knowledge and behaviours.

Stay Alive,