PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA Aerobatics Course
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 22:56
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the AOPA syllabus to hand, and I have mislaid my Robson book, but I seem to remember there's an eight-lesson plan involved. Just as with normal flight training, each lesson has pre- and post-lesson briefings.

The first few lessons will be spent on very basic maneuvers (loops and rolls separately), getting used to unusual attitudes, building up g-tolerance, and proper botched maneuver recovery. You'll also be introduced to spin, spin recovery, spiral dive and spiral dive recovery early on.

Subsequent lessons will focus on maneuvers that combine pitch, roll and yaw, such as cuban eights and stall turns.

Oh, and something else. I don't know where you're located but the AOPA course is offered in a lot of places. Ultimate High at Kemble is a well-known name but they're not the only one by far. And you don't have to look for Extra-300s, Pitts' or other high-end aerobatics aircraft either for the AOPA course. I'm still quite happy flying the clubs Alpha/Robin 2160 in Standard-level competition aerobatics, and I regularly compete against the GeneralAvia F22 and Fuji FA-200. The Decathlon has about the same capabilities too, and these capabilities will be far better than what's required for the AOPA course.

The only aircraft I would not recommend for the AOPA course (or similar) is the C152 Aerobat.