PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be honest about the NPPL
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2002, 06:52
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
You may be interested to know that there were many proposals made for the privileges and associated levels of training required for the sub-JAR/FCL PPL. We looked at a concept of a 'GH only' licence with pilots then being restricted to a certain radius from base. But this was seen as both unenforceable and non-conducive to noise pollution - since activities would be concentrated pretty well in the same areas.

Then we had a lengthy debate about the desireability or otherwise of night/IMC. In the end, it was agreed that there needed to be a clear demarcation; the NPPL would be 'simple, day VFR' and the next stage would be to upgrade to JAR/FCL PPL. This was agreed by those industry bodies representing their members and also the CAA.

So now we have a licence which will take a minimum of around 35 hours (32 plus 2 tests of about 1.5 hours) to complete. Looking back at my logbook for 1968, I see that I did precisely that then; yes, I had (as will many NPPL students) a little gliding time, but only an A and B certificate. We didn't do the Navigation Test, but we did an 'unseen' long cross-country with 2 intermediate landings - the first time I'd ever landed away from base! The NPPL covers the same general handling skills, the same basic navigation skills but tests rather better than I was tested on my PPL course - and all in about the same total of hours.

Some very experienced instructors and pilots have helped with the develoment of the NPPL; it is not a 'naff' PPL, it is merely returning the affordability of private day VFR flying to the levels of a few years ago whilst maintaining core safety levels.

Whilst name-calling and ill-informed comment will be generated by some and doubt will be cast by certain expensive flying schools who charge a fortune for the JAR/FCL PPL, the real feedback will only come when the demand for the new licence is assessed after a year or so.