PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is pilot still considered as a viable career?
Old 5th Apr 2011, 21:49
GAZ45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a current wannabe, I've always dreamt of flying as a career, and I’m currently starting down the modular route of training. I decided to go down this route as I can limit my debt, pretty much to zero, at least until CPL/IR. At that point I’d hope to fund pretty much all of that cost too.

The topic of fuel pricing has been a concern from the offset of training for me. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that it’s probably the major contributing factor to rising training costs. My view is that I will never bank on a career in this industry, but I will try my level best to get there providing the circumstances are right, and on the way I will try to stack the odds in my favour. By this I mean financially managing my training as to limit debt, and to try and keep a logical and level head on my shoulders regarding how far I am willing to go in order to get the career I dream of. I’m not willing to bankrupt myself and risk my sanity in the process of endlessly throwing money away trying to make flying a career.

I think to answer your original question, I would fall under the, “well, I will try we will see" bracket. I am under no illusions about this industry, but the future is completely unpredictable. I will crack on with my training, alongside my current career and see what happens. If I end up getting some lucky break flying scenic tours in Africa, or somehow land a job on a flight deck then so be it. If fuel becomes a problem and training becomes way too costly and the job market becomes much more turbulent than it already is, then flying will remain a very expensive but enjoyable hobby.