PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 19:51
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hof: 'Another one bites the dust' springs to mind! I'm sure you will love it though.

Tam/TRC .. many thanks. I shall add the image (with your much valued information) to the Colonel's digital scrapbook to join the legion of characters he encountered during his career.

Johnny Johnson is a name I've read about a number of times across the threads - I think Dennis mentioned him at least once. Never knew him or even recognise the name. The chap I was familiar with was someone called Ward who I think was a controller.

He didn't much care for people loitering in his cab (other than to pay their fees and be off) but, he had a female colleague who was slightly more tolerant of youngsters and it was with her collaboration that I got to 'hang out' in the cab for many an hour while Bob was across the other side of the river at Ferranti's head offices.

On most occasions he would leave a collection of notes (whatever he had in his pocket, which usually wasn't much, he was Scottish remember) with Battersea's ground handlers with the charge "Look after the wee lad would you."

Back to Johnson; how did he gain his notoriety - there must be some stories there TRC?

The Crewdson Files .. continued ..

Dennisimo mentioned John's daughter (whom he taught to fly) and Helicopter Hire's WG30 G-KATE (below).

Helicopter Hire's WG30 G-KATE (so named after John's daughter) seen at Plymouth on 2nd June 1984. John Crewdson's name appearing beneath the forward door. (Photo: Chris England).

If I have my facts straight the craft was leased from Westland before being sold to British International in 1989. Check out the curvature on the main rotor blades compared say with an S76!

As a project the WG30 was however an unmitigated disaster!

Sav